There's a debate in West Hartford over plans by a for-profit company to open an educational academy for Chinese students in town. The plan would include sending some students to the public high schools.
What are the pros and cons in allowing international students into our public schools at a time when districts face declining enrollment and budget constraints? Is this a creative way to fund public schools or is it detrimental to their mission?
This hour, we discuss the impact of international students on public education, a system with limited resources.
- Ronni Newton - Managing editor of We-Ha.com
- Beth Kerrigan - Member of the West Hartford town council
- Jason Guerrera - Co-founder of Apex International Education Partners
- Patrice McCarthy - Deputy Director and General Counsel at the Connecticut Association of Boards of Education
- Peggy Blumenthal - Senior Counselor to the President of the Institute of International Education
Lydia Brown and Chion Wolf contributed to this show.