This hour, we’re talking with people who have become memes. Like, “Hide the Pain Harold”, who is actually András Arató - a stock photo model who is smiling wide but his eyes, well, there’s a real sadness there.
And “Overly Attached Girlfriend”, who is Laina Morris. She entered a Justin Beiber song parody competition and just a few moments of her wide-eyed face from the video launched her into supermemedom.
And we’ll talk with two Karens - one who is Black and one who’s white - about what it’s like having their name become a meme that means “white woman who calls 911 on Black and brown people who aren’t doing anything illegal.”
Plus, hear from Zach Sweat from KnowYourMeme.com about how memes infiltrate every little corner of our lives - for better and worse.
- Zach Sweat is a journalist, editor, writer, photographer and memenator at KnowYourMeme.com
- András Arató is known as “Hide The Pain Harold”
- Laina Morris is known as “Overly Attached Girlfriend”
- Karen Hinds is the Founder & CEO of Workplace Success Group
- Karen Hollant has a M.A. in Rehabilitation Psychology and has worked in the field of Deafness for over 30 years
Catie Talarski contributed to this show.