No one is surprised to hear that Disney is planning a live-action remake of The Little Mermaid. Some people were surprised, though, at the announcement that Halle Bailey, who is African American, has been cast as the titular Ariel. And probably the least surprising part of the whole thing is that part of the internet (the racist part) is mad about it.
And: Rapper Lil Nas X came out on the last day of Pride month. Is this news?
And then: We're just about halfway through the second season of HBO's Big Little Lies. Meryl Streep has joined the cast. And this week's Nose brings together all three cohosts of The Big Little Podcast.
Some other stuff that happened this week, give or take:
- Mad Magazine to Effectively Shutter After 67 Years
- Cow Cuddling Is The New Wellness Trend Now And It Costs $300 For A 90-Minute Session
- THE WALKING DEAD to End With This Week's #193
- John Sterling's amazing Yankees streak ending on Thursday
- Auto industry icon Lee Iacocca dies at 94. He helped launch the Ford Mustang and saved Chrysler from bankruptcy.
- Billy Drago, Actor in 'The Untouchables,' Dies at 73
- 'Avengers: Endgame' failed to beat 'Avatar' for the worldwide box-office record after being rereleased to theaters
- Megan Rapinoe Makes Resistance Look Effortless
- Arte Johnson, 'Laugh-In' Star, Dies at 90
- Diarrhea Cases Caused By 'Poop Water' In CT Pools: Report
- George Lucas Approved Rare Pre-Special Edition Star Wars Screening
- Chuck Woolery's new game show is "Guess how many vasectomies I've had," and it sucks
- Justin Bieber, Demi Lovato, Sia, Halsey & More Weigh in On the Taylor Swift and Scooter Braun Situation
- Rebecca Castellani - Director of venue operations and tour marketing for We Save Music and cohost of The Big Little Podcast
- Theresa Cramer - A writer and the editor of E Content Magazine and cohost of The Big Little Podcast
- Carolyn Paine - An actress, comedian, and dancer; founder, director, and choreographer of CONNetic Dance; and cohost of The Big Little Podcast
Colin McEnroe contributed to this show.