This week, on Last Week Tonight, John Oliver tackled public shaming with perhaps the one person who has had the worst case of public shaming in recent memory, Monica Lewinsky. The interview focused on how Lewinsky survived the shaming, and she said if social media was around in the mid-90s, it could have been worse.
That’s how James Gunn got his dose of public shaming. Eight months ago the director was fired from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 by Disney after decade old social media comments by Gunn surfaced. The tweets made light of pedophilia and rape. But now Gunn was rehired by Disney. So maybe there is a way back from public shame?
Plus, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse came out on Blu-ray and DVD and for rental on iTunes and Amazon, etc., on Tuesday. This week we get into the Oscar winner for Best Animated Feature because it’s one of the best animated and superhero films ever made, despite being the (and depending on how you want to count it) ninth film to feature a Spider-Man.
Some other stuff that happened this week:
- Myspace deleted 12 years' worth of music in a botched server migration
- Here's what Disney owns after the massive Disney/Fox merger
- Google Announces new gaming platform: Stadia
- Woodstock 50 lineup revealed: Jay-Z, Miley Cyrus, The Black Keys performing
- The Fresh Prince Gets a Dramatic Reimagining in the Trailer for Bel-Air
- 'Game of Thrones' star Sophie Turner chugs wine on a jumbotron, impresses Drake
- 'Bill & Ted 3' Begins Production and Sets 2020 Release Date
- Bill Hader Kills
It was a great week for new trailers, including:
- John Wick: Chapter 3 Parabellum
- Stranger Things Season 3 on Netflix
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
- Toy Story 4
- Lucy in the Sky
- Avengers: Endgame
- John Dankosky - Executive editor of the New England News Collaborative, and host of The Wheelhouse and NEXT on WNPR (@johndankosky)
- Jacques Lamarre - A playwright and director of client services at Buzz Engine
- Tracy Wu Fastenberg - Director of development at Covenant Preparatory School
Colin McEnroe and Chion Wolf contributed to this show.