The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences this week announced changes to the annual Oscar awards, including a new category recognizing "outstanding achievement in popular film." Eligibility requirements and other details haven't been announced, but that hasn't stopped the film world from having strong opinions.
And: Bo Burnham is a comedian, musician, and actor who was a teen YouTube star. He’s directed a few comedy specials -- including Chris Rock's Tamborine -- and as of this week, his feature film directorial debut, Eighth Grade, is in wide release. Its "queasy verisimilitude" has earned it a 98% score on Rotten Tomatoes.
Other stuff that happened this week, give or take:
- In Conversation: Kathleen Turner
The actress on righting Elizabeth Taylor's wrongs, Donald Trump's "gross" handshake, and the co-star she slapped.
- Chicago is the site of US Pizza Museum: report
We should note that Chicago is not New Haven.
- Mike Trout Is The God Of WAR
You may know that Mike Trout is on pace to be the greatest baseball player of all time, but it's easy to lose sight of why.
- 'Facts of Life' star Charlotte Rae dies at 92
Rae played Mrs. Garrett on Diff'rent Strokes and The Facts of Life.
- West Hollywood City Council Approves Resolution Urging Removal of Trump's Walk of Fame Star
The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce previously said it would never remove a star over backlash.
- Mark Hamill suggests replacing President Trump's Hollywood star with Carrie Fisher's
"How about replacing it with someone who really earned it?" Hamill wrote, tagging Fisher's Twitter account.
- Plain White T's Song "Hey There Delilah" Is Being Turned Into a TV Series
Because, I mean, it might as well be at this point, who even cares about anything anymore, I guess?
- Taylor Swift and Bryan Adams' Duet of "Summer of '69" Reopens One of Music's Great Historical Mysteries: Is This Song About the Sex Position?
The photoillustration that accompanies this piece is worth the price of admission alone.
- The LeBron James Interview About Bicycles
Like it says on the tin, I'm assuming.
- Two Men Almost DROWNED In a Toronto Elevator
- A 'tantalizing' theory from Stephen King's son: Shark thriller 'Jaws' holds the clue to an unsolved 1974 murder
- Comedy's Holy Grail, Lost Monty Python Scenes, Found in Michael Palin's Archive
- These Are the First Vogue Cover Photos Shot by a Black Photographer
- It's Time to Admit That Iceberg Is a Superior Lettuce
- Two elderly men went missing. They were found at the world's biggest heavy metal festival.
- Xandra Ellin - Production intern at WNPR
- Carolyn Paine - Actress, comedian, dancer; founder, director, and choreographer of CONNetic Dance
- Kate Rushin - A poet whose “The Bridge Poem” is featured in The Atlantic
Colin McEnroe and Chion Wolf contributed to this show.