Martin Scorsese is a grump. He doesn't like Marvel movies. He says they aren't "cinema." He says they aren't even narrative films, and "we shouldn't be invaded by it." The internet, as you can imagine, has takes.
And: The Eddie Murphy comeback is on. He appeared on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee this summer. He's hosting Saturday Night Live in December. He's got multiple standup comedy specials in the works. And right now he's starring in the briefly-in-theaters-but-hitting-Netflix-next-weekend biopic Dolemite Is My Name.
Some other stuff that happened this week, give or take:
- Harold Bloom, Critic Who Championed Western Canon, Dies at 89
Called the most notorious literary critic in America, Professor Bloom argued for the superiority of giants like Shakespeare, Chaucer and Kafka.
- Robert Forster, Oscar-Nommed Star of 'Jackie Brown,' Dies at 78
- David Byrne, Jonathan Demme, and 35 Years of 'Stop Making Sense'
The Talking Heads concert film may be the greatest movie of its kind ever made -- a kinetic, uplifting, heartbreaking portrait of a band coming together, falling apart, and making beautiful noise, directed by a one-of-a-kind humanist auteur
- Gina Rodriguez, who should know better by now, raps along to the n-word
- Jameela Jamil Is Being Criticised After She Warned People About Negatively Responding To Her Tweets
"Challenging me (often with abuse), and me responding, can result in you being piled onto by my big following."
- 20th Anniversary _Fight Club): Rules 9-16
David Fincher's film Fight Club premiered on October 15, 1999.
- Ryan Reynolds Surprised Hugh Jackman with a Birthday Song
- Why the Oscars, Emmys and Tonys Are Not Ready for They and Them
Asia Kate Dillon of "Billions" is calling on the Television Academy to scrap gendered categories. But the organization and others have no plans for change, for now.
- Plans OK'd For "Westville Music Bowl"
- Barbie's Malibu Dreamhouse will be on Airbnb for $60 per night
- Sam Hadelman - Host of The Sam Hadelman Show on WNHH and a Fordham graduate student
- Cara McDonough - A freelance writer; you can read her blog at caramcduna.com
- Brian Slattery - Arts editor for the New Haven Independent and a producer at WNHH radio
Colin McEnroe and Chion Wolf contributed to this show.