MGM To Begin Demolition For Springfield Casino | Connecticut Public Radio
WNPR

MGM To Begin Demolition For Springfield Casino

Jan 11, 2016
Originally published on January 11, 2016 7:48 am

MGM has announced major demolition work will begin next week as it prepares the site in downtown Springfield where a $950 million resort casino is planned.

Almost a year after the former Zanetti school building served as the backdrop for the MGM Springfield groundbreaking, it will be demolished beginning Tuesday, according to a press release from MGM. 

The much anticipated major construction work follows state environmental and city zoning approvals. 

MGM Springfield President Mike Mathis said the casino remains on track to open in the fall of 2018.

"September 2018 is what we are holding to and we feel comfortable with that date," Mathis said last month.

MGM is going ahead with demolition work even thought city and state officials have yet to approve controversial changes the company has proposed in the project’s scope, including the elimination of a 25-story hotel.

Copyright 2016 WAMC-FM. To see more, visit WAMC-FM.