The state Supreme Court has temporarily frozen proceedings in the lawsuit brought forward by the families of loved ones killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. The families are attempting to sue the manufacturer of the gun used in the massacre.
Twenty children and six adults were murdered inside the Sandy Hook Elementary School on December 14, 2012.
Earlier this year, the Connecticut Supreme Court ruled that victims’ families could sue the Remington Arms Company based on its marketing of the AR-15 Bushmaster.
But since that ruling, Remington’s attorneys have petitioned the U.S. Supreme Court to make a ruling on whether families can bring a case against it.
Now, Remington’s motion to stay the litigation while that process plays out has been granted by the state’s high court. The stay means that the families cannot proceed to subpoena internal documents from the company as they build their case.
Attorney Josh Koskoff, of Koskoff, Koskoff and Beider in Bridgeport represents the families.
“After waiting this amount of time – over four years to get to this point – my clients are perfectly willing to wait a little longer to get to the discovery process," he told Connecticut Public Radio. "And that’sall we anticipate it’ll take -- just a little while longer while the appeals process plays out to its completion.”
Koskoff said that after some initial briefings and legal maneuverings, it should take about six months for the U.S. Supreme Court to evaluate the petition.
Attorneys for Remington weren't immediately available for comment.