City Council Studies Plans For MGM Springfield Casino | Connecticut Public Radio
WNPR

City Council Studies Plans For MGM Springfield Casino

Jan 26, 2016
Originally published on January 25, 2016 6:18 pm

The Springfield City Council is conducting a final review of the plans for the $950 million MGM casino.

The council is tentatively scheduled to vote Tuesday after holding a fourth public hearing on the casino project site plan. However, Council President Mike Fenton said he’ll set additional time for deliberations if necessary.

"It is possible to extend  ( the hearings) should we need further public input or councilors have additional questions," he said.

Fenton said the council won’t be rushed in making a decision. The council president has been critical of MGM’s controversial proposal to eliminate a 25-story hotel from the project.

  Earlier this month, MGM began demolishing buildings to clear the way for the construction of the casino, which it plans to open in September 2018.

Copyright 2016 WAMC-FM. To see more, visit WAMC-FM.