In the event the federal government reduces funding for Planned Parenthood, Governor Dannel Malloy pledged that Connecticut’s Office of Policy and Management would pay $6 million in Medicaid reimbursement to keep Connecticut’s 17 Planned Parenthood centers up and running.
“Without that, the centers in Connecticut would suffer grievous impacts, I can’t say for sure, but likely leading in the closure of some number of the facilities that are currently available in Connecticut, making it more difficult for women to—and men for that matter--receive the services that they require,” Malloy said.
Amanda Skinner, president and CEO of Planned Parenthood of Southern New England, said the federal government made three attempts to defund Planned Parenthood last year.
“We are very fortunate to be in Connecticut where Governor Malloy has committed to being able to have the state step in to backfill if the federal government does attempt to prevent women on Medicaid from being able to use their Medicaid services through Access to Care or Planned Parenthood,” Skinner said. “And in that case, I would say there is no risk. We continue to be here—no matter what.”
Malloy’s tour of a Planned Parenthood clinic in Hartford on Wednesday continued his push for the state to adopt new health care legislation -- part of it would ensure that birth control services remain a part of health care coverage.