The Connecticut State’s Attorney Office is investigating after a Hartford man was shot by a member of a federal task force during an undercover drug bust in the city.
Hartford police said the 30-year-old man drove away from the scene on Sigourney Street and crashed a short time later. His identity has not been released, but police say he was shot in the arm and is now in stable condition at St. Francis Hospital.
Hartford Deputy Police Chief Brian Foley said a member of a federal Drug Enforcement Administration task force shot the man as he drove up on a curb toward officers after being seen selling heroin.
“DEA supervision is on scene right now,” Foley said. “They’re aware obviously that one of their task force officers was involved in the shooting, and area’s going to be blocked off for quite some time. There were a lot of officers involved.”
Foley said the operation was part of an ongoing narcotics investigation, which is also tied to a homicide in the city last week. He said the man who was shot Wednesday was not a suspect in that homicide.
Two officers also suffered minor injuries, according to Foley, and have been released.
This post was updated at 7:34 am. Patrick Skahill and Tucker Ives contributed to this report, which includes information from the Associated Press.