We have a tradition on the show of celebrating voting and the people who vote by speaking to thoughtful "citizen observers" from around the state about their experience of voting on this Election Day.
What was the mood at the polls? Were people feeling angry, anxious, proud, alienated, relieved or maybe, having fun? Were there lots of signs? Lots of voters? Were their problems at their polling place?
It's tempting to not vote in this imperfect system when reports of voter suppression, security concerns about electronic machines and gerrymandering mock the meaning of one person, one vote.
Yet, despite the imperfect system in which we vote, I still get excited about voting. I continue to believe that the power of our collective votes is significant and the only way to hold our elected officials accountable. More voters are harder to deceive.
Call the Election Day Hotline at 1-866-733-2463 or email email@example.com to report problems at the polls.
The Secretary of the State offers guidance regarding "challenges" to voters on Election Day.
- Noah Baerman - Jazz pianist, composer, author and educator. He is the founder and Artistic Director of the nonprofit Resonant Motion and leads the Wesleyan University Jazz Ensemble (@NBpontificates)
- Susan Clinard - Owner, Clinard Sculpture Studio
- Benjamin Freund - Owner and operator of Freund’s Farm, Inc., a dairy farm, and Cow Pots biodegradable planting pots, both in East Canaan
- Doug Glanville - MLB analyst for NBC Sports in Chicago, author and former MLB outfielder (@dougglanville)
- Ellen Griesedieck - Artist who launched the American Mural Project, a tribute to American workers that will be the largest indoor collaborative artwork in the world
- Lara Herscovitch - Singer-songwriter-poet, performer, advocate and former CT State Troubadour (@laraherscovitch)
- Barry Jessurun - Owner of Vanilla Bean Cafe in Pomfret. Barry voted in Pomfret
- Michael Moschen - One of the world's leading jugglers and performance artists and the recipient of a MacArthur Foundation Genius Award
- Yolanda Negron - Retired
- George Noujaim - Chef / owner of Noujaim’s Bistro in Winsted
- Christine Woodside - Author of Libertarian's on the Prairie: Laura Ingalls Wilder, Rose Wilder Lane and the Making of the Little House Books and the editor of Appalachia Journal (@chriswoodside)
Colin McEnroe and Chion Wolf contributed to this show.